Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Now I ask you... who won the argument?

WHEN: today
WHERE: inside my head
WHAT: a continuation of the never-ending argument between the nagging, anxious voice in my head and me, Juniper.

Juniper: I guess the UTI’s finally gone. It took a week but I’m finally starting to feel back to normal.

Voice:
No thanks to you.


Juniper: What the hell are you talking about? When the gallon of cranberry juice didn’t help I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics. I took the antibiotics and now I’m better.

Voice: Still. You did it all wrong.

Juniper: HOW. How did I do it all wrong?! You make no sense!

Voice: The urinalysis wasn't conclusive. You can't be sure you even HAD a UTI. Maybe you were just being paranoid.

Juniper: No. That can happen. I'd been drinking a LOT of fluids. The doctor didn't think I was faking it. That's what you're worried about right - that he thought I was a faker. If he thought that, he wouldn't have given me the antibiotics.

Voice: Still. You got the wrong antibiotics. You didn’t make the doctor listen to you.

Juniper: I tried… I told him I had good luck with old-fashioned antibiotics like penicillin in the past but he wanted to give me that ‘Macrobid’ stuff. He was just too busy and I didn’t think it was worth it to argue with him.

Voice: Whatever it was, it didn’t agree with you. Up until last night you thought it had messed up your stomach.

Juniper:
I didn’t think that – YOU kept telling me it had. But it didn’t. I’m fine today. It was probably just my IBS. Or the lactose intolerance. I don't have the greatest GI system, you know.

Voice:
Still. It could have. Don’t forget that Cipro you took in 2001 – it knocked out your intestinal flora. Or at least they THINK it did. You’re so irresponsible; you never even went back to the hospital the next day with a stool sample like the doctor told you too.


Juniper: It was September 11th. THE September 11th, 2001? I was a little busy. The world was coming to an end. Remember??

Voice: Still.

Juniper: What is that, your favorite word?

Voice: Ok, ok. So you’ve returned to health. Good for you. What are you going to do for the rest of the day?

Juniper: I’m going to the store. We’re out of canned cat food, vitamins and seltzer water.

Voice: Right now? The day before a holiday? The store will be mobbed! AND you just got your car detailed a few hours ago… now you want to drive it into a dirty parking lot? Aren't you trying to sell it?! And that seltzer water – it can’t be good for your stomach… Still, if you don’t get the cat food, you’ll be depriving the cat of wet food. Are you sure she’s ok? She’s been sleeping a lot…

Juniper: Dear god... If I beat on my head with a rock, would you go away or just shut up for a little while?

1 comment:

Bea Rich said...

Maybe when you move, you can sneak out of the house and leave the voice behind?? Distract it and get in the moving van and hit the gas!