Monday, April 16, 2007

Goodwill? Yes. Good will? No thanks.


Now that we know that we're moving this summer, I've started trying to get rid of stuff. I took a couple bags to Goodwill this morning containing the items shown above. I was having a hard time last night deciding if I should let go of these things. I realized that I didn't really need or want any of it - I was just hanging onto this stuff because someone gave it to me and I thought i'd feel guilty for getting rid of it. So I took a picture. That way, I'll still have the memory without having to drag the stuff around too. It's amazing how every object has a story, no matter how long I've been hanging onto it.


A: Strange, ugly woven purse my parents brought back from Japan. Owned: 1.5 years

B: Bowls that came with “salsa” themed gift basket (salsa broken upon arrival). Contents: three small picture frames various weddings (were used as place cards). Owned: 2.5 years

C: Necklaces I never wear:
  • Wooden necklace from ex-boyfriend. Owned: 13 years
  • Faux pearl necklace from grandma. Owned: 20 years
  • Faux black pearl necklace from parents. Owned: 13 years
  • Silver necklace mom gave me for wedding rehearsal. Owned: 5.5 years

D: Soap dish from friend (soap long since used). Owned: 1.5 years

E: Wooden box from friend in college. Owned: 13 years

F: Blue bracelet a friend gave me in the hospital. Owned: 4 years

G: Glow in the dark “glasses” from (I’m not kidding) when my parents went to the last republican national convention. Owned: 2 years

H: Box I made from a kit I bought at a Japanese paper store. Contents: push pops & ring pops from our anniversary party last year. Owned: 3 years

J: Nice dragonfly pin I got as a Christmas present. I don’t wear pins. Owned: 2 years

K: Little felt dolls my parents got at a cool toy company in junior high. Owned: 20 years

L: Three decks of playing cards my husband bought because we once thought we might collect a deck from each of our vacations.
  • Old Chesapeake Railroad deck. Owned: my whole life
  • Deck we got in Yosemite. Owned: 6 years
  • Deck we got in Glacier National Park. Owned: 6 years

M: Travel game of Connect 4 my husband got me at target because my neighbors owned one and I always wanted to play it and they never let me. Owned: 7 years

N: Game of tiddlywinks we got as a stocking stuffer. Lame. Owned: 5 years

P: Loofa scrubby thing from my husband. Nice, but too hard on my skin. Owned: 2 years

Q: Photo storage box we got my mother in law as a gift at our wedding. Had the wrong initials so they let us keep it and we gave her the right one. Owned: 6 years

R: Tea towel embroidered with “love” we got for Valentine’s Day gift from my mom. Owned: 7 years

S: Candles:
  • Green one a friend gave me that smells too weird to burn. Owned: 0.5 years
  • Sparkly Christmas one my student gave me but is too ugly to put out. Owned: 1.5 years

And to think... all that came out of one box under my bed. It's scary what I hold onto just to keep myself from feeling any glimmer of guilt.

9 comments:

betty said...

i can only think of two things to say:
1) i definitely understand. i thought i was the only one who would spend time going through each and every object she had to give up in her move and mourning their loss, no matter how insignificant. i think you beat me though - i never thought to take a picture and list them out. in a weird way i wish i'd done that. i was too overcome with self pity though...so lame!
2) thank god nothing from me was in that pile!

moving = teh suck. and there are definitely things i got rid of that i really really wish i'd kept. i mean, i'm managing to scrape by but that one coffee mug i loved is sorely missed. and it sure would have been nice to have a bottle of my favorite nail polish around that first day i randomly decided to wear flip flops to work!

anyway. i wish i was there to help out and repay the favor.

(you know that point number two is a joke right?)

Bea Rich said...

Who never let you play connect 4? It wasn't me was it??!

I like this picture taking idea. I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I have been hanging on to for the same reason!

And I am with Betty, Thank god there was nothing from ME in that pile! LOL! Totally kidding!

Juniper said...

Betty & APW -

Yeah, taking pictures seems to help. Making a list... I'm just compulsive, it's not for everyone.

You know what's funny? There is something from each of you in that pile. One thing from each! And I'm not saying which! Ha! If you guys can't remember I don't feel so guilty anymore.

Bea Rich said...

I gave you that wooden box, didn't I? I went through a wooden box phase in college. That had to be me. Am I right????!!

Juniper said...

Wow! I thought I was the only one who went through a wooden box phase in college! Yes, you're right! That was from you... sorry! I used it with love for years and years.

betty said...

hmmm, i can only guess, by process of elmination, that it's the wooden soap dish or the horrible smelling green candle. but you're right - i have no idea and so it's not something i'd worry about if i were you.

but i do want to know....so what was it? i can't imagine i'd give you a salsa themed gift basket. on second though, if that was it, i don't want to know. lie to me.

Bea Rich said...

LOL! Please rid yourself of the box, guilt free! In fact, you have inspired me to get rid of some of the ones I still have! What were we thinking??!??!

Juniper said...

Betty - no, no, the broken salsa was from my parents. You gave me the soap dish (with soap which was enjoyed).

sbwrites said...

What a nice blog this is. I loved this post. I learned about you from polarcoaster. And will list you on my blog.

Susan