Friday, May 25, 2007

In my spare time I'll see about that cure for cancer

Even though we don't know where we're moving yet, I decided I better get started planning 'cause DAMN. We've got a lot on our plates over the next three months. Also, by the time we know where we’re going, we may only have a few weeks to get ready to go...

I don't know if making this list has increased or decreased my anxiety... oh who am I kidding. Of course it increased it. Right now I’m vacillating between feeling so anxious I want to cry and avoiding my thoughts with as much TV as humanly possible. Oh, and lots of trigonometry. All my kids seem to be doing trig right now. Which is good, since I love trig and anything (except worrying) seems like a giant hassle right now.

So here's my plan which will very quickly become completely fictitious, I'm sure:

Week of May 28 (next week) – Still working

  • Friend is visiting from out of town.
Week of June 4 – Last full week of work
  • Fly to east coast to look at last job offer.
Week of June 11 – Decide where to live and start planning move!
  • Last few hours of work.
  • Get complimentary 5,000 mile tune up on new car. (yes, I've driven 5,000 miles since March 1st. Feel free to blame all the hurricanes this on me this fall.)
  • Interview & hire whatever moving company isn't completely booked.
Week of June 18 – Planning
  • Celebrate 6th wedding anniversary (use gift certificate to Chez Panisse)
  • Get husband’s car cleaned, repaired & tuned up.
  • Plan upcoming vacation & buy tickets.
Week of June 25 – Planning
  • Sell husband’s car. (Anyone want a '99 Corolla with a couple dents?)
  • Look for new apartment online. Call and make appointments for next week.
  • Shop for husband's birthday gifts.
Week of July 2 – Visit new town
  • Find an apartment with 6 month lease.
Week of July 9 – Planning
  • Bake cake & celebrate husband’s birthday.
  • Sell furniture we’re not taking with us.
  • Get boxes from moving company.
  • Give notice on current apartment. (good-bye crap shack!)
Week of July 16 – Vacation (don’t know where yet)
  • have fun & relax. (ha!)
Week of July 23 – Packing
  • Throw (and maybe attend) going away party.
  • Donate and throw away as much as possible.
Week of July 30 – Packing
  • Change utilities, addresses, subscriptions, & insurance policies.
Week of August 6 – Move
  • Clean out apartment. Get security deposit back.
Week of August 13 – Drive across country
  • Stop at parents’ and friends’ houses on the way. (Spend entirety of signing bonus on $4/gallon gas)
Week of August 20 – Start new life
  • Find part-time job, therapists, fitness center, doctors, some friends, a baby and a house.
  • Live happily ever after.

5 comments:

betty said...

planning, it never hurts.

one question though, are you guaranteed to move in august? not to throw yet another wrench in the works, but sometimes the move can take longer i think. i could be wrong though. have the negotiations with the potential future employers involved exact move dates?

Cristina C. Fender said...

Whew! I feel tired just reading your "to do" list.

I think that calls for a margarita...

=p

Juniper said...

Hey Betty - you could be right about the start date... but whenever we've discussed it with the different jobs, they seem to think it's on target. And since our lease runs out on the 15th of the month, we have to move around Aug 15th or else we're looking at Sept 15th which gets kinda late... who knows really.

Chica - thanks for stopping by and commenting! Visitors are always appreciated. God, a margarita sounds great... used to be one of my favorite drinks. I don't drink anymore but feel free to have one for me!

betty said...

good, i would worry if you guys decide on a place and then it took 4 more months for the move to happen. i might have to move back there to help do damage control!

i am coming in ONE days! yay!

Unknown said...

I am impressed that you made a to-do list. I'm not good at those. Although I made a to-do list for last Thursday and actually did the stuff on it. I'm trying to be more organized.