Monday, August 25, 2008

Where's the fire?

Ok, we’ve officially been back on the east coast for one full year. Hooray. As it always is with these things, sometimes it feels like it’s been only a couple of months, sometimes it feels like much, much longer.

I had a lot of goals for this year – things I wanted to accomplish, changes I wanted to make. And I accomplished a LOT of them:

  • We bought (and moved into) a house in a cool little town
  • I made some new friends
  • I found two good therapists
  • I moved my piano here and started practicing again
  • I found a new job that I like and that pays well
  • We switched to all eco-friendly cleaning products
  • We got to know (and spend time with) our 2 year-old nephew

And when I look at that list – it looks like a LOT! Big stuff too. So, why is it that I only focus on the goals I haven’t accomplished?

  • I wanted to get down to Manhattan and see old friends
  • I wanted to travel (visiting my parents doesn’t count)
  • I wanted to volunteer and become active in the mental health consumer community
  • I wanted to hike and bike and paddle and get outside
  • I wanted to finish my book
  • And join a choir
  • And eat local and healthier
  • And, of course… I wanted to exercise more

I see other people doing these things I want to do and I get jealous. And then, instantly, I switch and judge myself. I call myself lazy. And then I try to do more.

Sometimes, I think it’s great that there’s so much I want to accomplish in this life. I’m glad that I’m passionate and engaged and have so many interests. And sometimes, I think I just need to RELAX. What is the big, fat rush? I’m only 33. I’ll get around to everything. Maybe it’s a vestige of being suicidal for most of my life.

1 comment:

girl MD said...

please come to manhattan to see this old friend!!!