Thursday, February 22, 2007

Boring but FREE

Oh right. I have a blog.

No… I didn’t forget. I have no excuse for not posting. It’s not like I’ve been super busy and nothing bad has happened. I just didn’t think I had anything interesting to say. Frankly, I felt downright boring.

One interesting thing did happen this week. A friend of mine was hospitalized again at the local psych hospital. It’s the same hospital where I did an outpatient, partial hospitalization day program – and where I met her.

I have a student very close to her house, so on Tuesday I offered to pick up some toiletries for her and bring them to the hospital. Today she was discharged and I picked her up and drove her home.

Both times, when was in the psych unit, I was struck by how depressing a place it is. Even though I’ve been hospitalized three times (once for a week, once for a month, and once for three months) I tend to forget.

I forget about the constant florescent lighting, the recycled air and the non-operable windows. I forget how sad the family members look when they’re visiting. I forget how noticeably loud that door sounds when it locks you in. I forget how much it hurts to see the staff leave at the end of the shift – to realize every eight hours that they have the privilege of a life in the real world and YOU don’t.

Each time I left this week, I took a tiny, secret delight each time they buzzed me out. They’re letting me leave, I thought! And when I got home… whew! This apartment may irritate me, but wow. What a delight to have a home and to be allowed to live in it.

1 comment:

betty said...

yes, i agree! your apartment is much lovelier than a hospital, psych ward or other and i'm glad you live in it. although it would be nicer if you guys would move here so i could actually see you sometimes!

i'm glad your friend could go home too. i hope she's ok.