Sunday, March 11, 2007

Together, we shall take back what is ours.

I do all the interviewing and hiring for my tutoring company. I like this part of my job. It's nice to meet people who like algebra and essay writing as much as I do. Sometimes, it gets more complicated. Like the woman I interviewed on Thursday.

She was referred to me by a former therapist who knows that I help run a tutoring company. The therapist told me that this woman is a member of a group I used to attend - a group for people with severe, chronic mental illnesses. I left this group about a year ago because I felt like I had improved to the point where I became too high functioning to fit in anymore.

From her resume, this woman seemed perfectly qualified, so I called her and we chatted briefly on the phone. She has a car, she has free time, and most importantly, she can teach calculus and physics. She sounded like an ideal candidate.

Then I met with her in person. Her academic and teaching skills seemed fine… maybe a bit rusty, but adequate. But her social skills seemed poor. She made eye contact but she seemed very anxious and awkward. And she was extremely shaky, probably due to medication, I assumed. Moreover, she seemed a little disheveled and distracted. Nothing extreme, but these mannerisms were still quite noticeable.

I wasn’t sure I should hire her. Students and parents might pick up on her shaky awkwardness and might realize that she’s not completely well. They may not feel comfortable with her. We offer a lot of scholarships at our company, but we also work with some very wealthy, powerful and often difficult and demanding families.

Personally, I think everyone should be exposed to people with a visible mental health disability. It helps to de-stigmatize these illnesses and can prove to people that their fears of the mentally ill are unfounded. Even though she’s disheveled, this woman can probably tutor just as well as our perkiest, preppiest tutor. And they should learn that.

More importantly, I WANT to hire her. I like helping and advocating for the mentally ill. I know that other interviewers at other companies might see her quirks and reject her out of hand. The mentally ill deserve employment, just like everyone else.

Yet, I know it's more complicated than that. More about that tomorrow.

Yes, the title is from tonight's episode of the Simpsons.

2 comments:

girl MD said...

i sympathize, i really do. in a way, you are probably right that people should get over their fear of the mentally ill. i'm a pragmatist (and a cynic), though and am not holding my breath.
plus, isn't the point of treatment to get people to a level of functioning where you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that they are mentally ill? similar to my asthma patients...i tell them that if their asthma is under good control, then no one should be able to tell that they have asthma.
just my 2 cents for what they're worth.

Juniper said...

You're so right. I agree that the goal is to get a patient to the point where they're not visibly ill. That way they can do whatever they choose and won't be hindered by their illness.

Sadly, people still have to work and go to school and shop for groceries before their symptoms are under control (Sometimes for years and years). I worry that other people's fears about mental illness prevent sufferers from doing these things, supporting themselves, or living a full life.

Thanks for the 2 cents! They're always worth far, far more to me.