Monday, October 08, 2007

I don't bite (anymore)

So last Friday, I finally worked up my courage and wrote Paul & Denise a note. I tried to make it as non-crazy sounding as possible.

(although, I decided at the last minute to leave the note on their door instead of putting it in the mail which in retrospect may be construed as a bit stalker-ish...)

I said that we had just moved to the area because of my husband's new job (which I mentioned so they could Google him and see how nice and cute and respectable he looks on his website). I said that I heard they lived nearby and was amazed to discover (through the alumni directory) that they lived in the same apartment complex. I said that if they wanted to get together we'd love to see them but if they didn't that I wished them all the best. (I wanted to respect their sense of privacy. If I am/have become a horrible memory, I don't want them to feel... invaded. I mean, they lived here first.)

But I never heard from them. Now I'm thinking I probably never will. Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I emailed a friend from college to tell her about the note. She congratulated me on being brave. She pointed out that it's good to say things that are lingering in our brains and won't let us move on. At least I won't have to worry about awkwardly running into them in the parking lot. They know where I am now. If they don't want to see me, they can take preventative measures. They can avoid me like the plague.

Still, the whole thing has left me feeling a bit... like a menace to society.

I keep trying to tell myself that lots of people (even people without Borderline!) get into feuds. Lots of people have an ex or a nemesis they worry about running into. But if that's true, why do I feel like this conflict (and it's associated anxiety) is yet another tax I have to pay because of this disorder? Why do I feel like there are scores of people out there who remember me as difficult, pathetic or just plain nuts? How do I explain to them that I've changed, that I've earned a second chance? That it wasn't really my fault that I acted that way but I AM sorry for my behavior.

I wish I could get all those damaged relationships out of the friendship freezer. I'd warm them up and tell them how much I've missed them for all these years.

2 comments:

Bea Rich said...

see, I would think that maybe they didn't get the note. Leaving it on their doorstep is risky. Also, maybe they are away, etc. I bet you will hear from them at some point, or run into them . . .

Juniper said...

Yeah... I worried about that too. But since I taped the note to the door, it's pretty unlikely it got away. Possible but unlikely.

I DID worry that they were away - I worried that the note would sit there and announce to passersby that they were away. Then the apartment would be burglarized and they'd blame me.

I worry too much.