Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mom visit - day two

Here's what I had planned for today:

8:30am: pick up at hotel, get breakfast from bakery across street
9:00am: drive to San Francisco
10:00am: arrive at the museum
12:00pm: depart San Francisco
1:00pm: lunch at local café
2:30pm: tour of local chocolate factory
3:00pm: depart factory
3:30pm: arrive local gardens
5:00pm: arrive back at Hotel for R&R
6:30pm: leave for dinner
7:30pm: dinner

Here's how the day really played out.

7:45am: arrive at hotel. Park at the end of a million-mile long parking lot.
8:00am: room-service breakfast while watching George Bush's press conference. Ugh.
9:00am: really nice massage at the hotel spa!
10:00am: the massage made mom's back feel better! We go sit in the whirlpool, then shower and change.
11:00am: drive to San Francisco museum. Mom's back starts hurting again in the car.
11:30am: arrive at museum.
11:50am: after walking around for 20 minutes, we get lunch at the musuem cafe. Really, it's just an excuse for mom to sit down.
1:30pm: mom's back hurts so badly, we head back for the hotel.
2:30pm: back at the hotel, mom falls sound asleep. I'm now stuck in her hotel room. The internet connection keeps dying on me. BOTH my cell phones have run out of power. I try to get some work done.
4:30pm: mom wakes up and wants to sit in the hot tub. Again. I swam some laps in the hotel pool. I watch 5-6 little kids splash around and annoy my mom in the hot tub. Why do they allow little kids in the hot tub?!
5:30pm: I ask the concierge for the number of an on-call doctor.
5:45pm: I leave a message with the on-call answering service.
6:00pm: the doctor calls the hotel room and my mom acts like there's nothing wrong. "Oh, I'm taking darvaset and treating it with heat." She neglects to tell the doctor that it's a 8 year old prescription for some other old ailment. I want her to get a stronger prescription so at least she can get some sleep. She doesn't ask for anything.
6:15pm: Mom wants to get another massage tomorrow morning. Since I have to go to Palo Alto to see my psychiatrist tomorrow morning, we decide that we'll try to find someone there. I call my friend, a local massage therapist for a reccomendation. Mom goes to take a shower. I can hear her moaning in the background.
6:30pm: I call her friend in Belmont. She refers me to a spa in Palo Alto.
6:45pm: I make an appointment for her to get a massage tomorrow morning.
7:00pm: I hear mom doing her hair and sighing with pain.
7:30pm: we go to dinner. A glass of white wine seems to help her back somewhat but she doesn't have much of an appetite.
8:30pm: we leave the restaurant after a quick dinner. I drop her off at the hotel and drive home.

So. I know my mom is in a lot of pain. I know she ask to have a pinched nerve. But. I'm starting to think my mom's kinda high maintenance.

One more day and then she goes home on Friday. Let's hope she makes it.

No comments: