Sunday, October 08, 2006

Morbid Meme


GirlMD tagged me again! This time, it's a bit morbid... "List 5 songs that you would want played at your funeral."

Ummm... I'm not sure I should take up this challenge. Over twenty years of suicidal ideation has taught me not to go there. But when I started thinking about some of my favorite pieces of music, I was inspired.

I think it would be nice to play music that I've performed since I'm a singer and a pianist. So here's my list:

Songs I have sung with choirs:
1 & 2. Beati Quorum Via & Justorum Animae - C.V. Stanford
3. I sat down under his shadow - Edward C. Bairstow
4. Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis - Orlando Gibbons
5. When David Heard - Thomas Tomkins
6. Ubi Caritas - Maurice Durfle
7. Requiem, In Paradisum - Gabriel Faure

Songs I have played on the piano:
8 & 9. Kinderszenen, Der Dichter Spricht & Kind Im Einschlummern - Robert Schumann

Songs on the music box I listened to every night growing up (I also play them on the piano):
10. March in D Major no.16 - Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
11. Minuet in G Major BWV 841 - Georg Bohm

Even though some of these pieces are based on sacred texts, I'm not a religious person. They just seem solemn and reflective and beautiful.

I'll tag two more people:
Anonymous mom
Betty

No comments: