Saturday, November 11, 2006

Even us atheists need a day of rest

We had a nice day today… and I feel slightly better on a variety of fronts.

After I managed to haul myself out of bed at 11am. (I seem to spending an inordinate amount of time sleeping this month) I spent (what little was left of) the morning reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I think I’m starting to figure out how to get pregnant. Although I knew there was a short window of opportunity, I never quite realized HOW short. I started charting my basal body temperature this month, so hopefully I’ll be figuring out what the problem has been so far. So I’m feeling less anxious about that.

After a leisurely mid-day shower, my husband and I walked over to a local pub for some brick-oven pizzas. There’s a newsstand with copies of “The Onion” right outside – we like to read the wise-ass columns while we wait for our orders. Then we went for a long walk around town. Down the hill, we had a clear view of the bay. It was a nice day… crisp and autumnal after last night’s rain. I’d been feeling like a lump after sleeping so much, so it made me feel good to get some air and exercise.

When we got home, I spent a long while looking for Christmas gifts online. I’ve been stressed out about Christmas this year. Most years, I try to get all my shopping done by December 1st so I don’t feel too panicked later in the month. But this year, I’ve had a hard time getting started; I didn’t have any ideas for gifts and everything I could think of was too expensive.

And it seems silly to buy presents for my husband or myself now - in six months we’ll be moving and hopefully buying things for a new home and a baby. And my parents are wealthy and buy whatever they want or need. Frankly, I was hoping to be pregnant by now – hoping that would be present enough for the four of us. But tonight, I think I finally started some ideas for good and affordable presents. So I feel better about that.

And then I made us a nice salad with homemade croutons and vinaigrette for dinner. So I felt like I’d earned my wifely merit badge for the evening.

Tomorrow, I’ll read the paper and clean the house a bit. I’ve got two tutoring clients in the afternoon and then maybe I’ll drop by some stores and do a little preliminary shopping for my eight (EIGHT!) nieces and nephews. But I’ll have to rest up because next week’s going to be big…

On Tuesday, we’re flying out to house/dog/cat sit at my parent’s house. It’ll be 1/3 work (we both have to bring work with us), 1/3 worry (that we’re going to break the house/dog/cat) and 1/3 vacation (the house is like a luxury hotel). On Saturday, my parents come home and we commence 24 hours together. Eesh.

Then, on Wednesday, my husband’s VERY BIG RESEARCH PAPER is being published. For those of you who know his name, Google him later in the week and you’ll see… There should be a fair amount of media attention. I’m extremely proud and wish I could brag more…


Angry grey pajama man's taking a break too.

No comments: