Monday, November 20, 2006

Oh right. Reality.

We got back from NM this afternoon.

We actually had a pretty nice visit. My parents were only there for the last day… that helped. (We were there to house and pet-sit for the last week of their three-week vacation.)

Today was a little depressing though. It was hard to come back from vacation right when everyone else’s week off was just starting. There were tons of families in the airport… of course there were lots of babies and pregnant women, strategically planted to torture me.

Aaaaand now it’s back to reality. Back to our “crap shack” of an apartment. No radiant floor heating, no king-sized bed, no dishwasher, and no avoiding work any more.

One weird thing happened with my parents…

When I called my mom tonight to let her know we got back safely, she kept commenting on how “grown-up” my husband and I had seemed. Uh, I guess… On Saturday I picked them up at the airport while my husband stayed home and got dinner ready. They acted impressed. What did they think… that we aren’t old enough to remember to eat dinner?

Then yesterday, we had a “pretend Thanksgiving.” I spent most of the day puttering around the kitchen preparing various dishes – just taking my time so we wouldn’t get stressed out. (Neither my mom nor I usually prepare a full Thanksgiving dinner.) Later in the afternoon I went for a swim at the spa and then my dad and I took the dog for a walk. All normal behavior for a 32-year-old adult.

It’s reminded me of my mom’s visit in October. She was sick and seemed so impressed that I was kind to her and looked after her health. Part of me is happy that she’s pleased with me. Part of me feels a little insulted… like she expects me to be an irresponsible childish fool. And part of me just feels sad that she doesn’t seem to know me very well.

Besides, how could I be an adult in their eyes? In their eyes, adults are people with houses and financial security. These are the same people that claim they don't live in a mansion.

"But Juniper, the main house is barely 5,000 square feet!" My father recently said.

"Uh, dad, anytime you can use the phrase "the main house," you're dealing with a mansion."

It's no wonder I go through a reality shock when I come back from visiting them...!

1 comment:

betty said...

yes, no wonder. their house does seem very luxurious. i still wish i had gotten a chance just to see it. maybe some day!

i know what you mean about what parents consider as adults. my parents think that you have to be married and own your own place to be grown up too. i always get the sense they are indulging me when i talk about things like cooking a turkey ('you konw how to do that!?!?!') or getting a job (dad still asks when i'm getting that pharmaceutical rep job even though i have an OFFER now from the university).

at any rate, i'm glad you're back ok. miss you guys!