Monday, November 27, 2006

A pox upon our house. A never-ending, annoying, icky pox.


Alternate title for this post: Ode to a Grey Couch

Saturday the 18th:
My husband came down with a cold. (He probably got it from the coughing guy sitting behind us on our flight to Santa Fe.) My husband almost never gets sick so we assumed that it must be a pretty a bad bug. Thus, I assumed I’d probably catch it soon enough.

Tuesday the 21st:
I still wasn’t sick. (Even though my husband’s coughing had worsened to resemble a cross between a foghorn and a moose.)

Wednesday the 22nd:
Finally, I woke up feeling… phlegm-y. I stopped by the drug store and picked up some Airborne and Cold Eaze. By noon, I thought I might have a low-grade fever. So, I called the student I was supposed to tutor that afternoon, apologized, and cancelled. I drove home, took some DayQuil, climbed on my couch, and prepared to rest. When the DayQuil kicked in I felt… not that bad. I figured I’d feel rotten the next day.

Thursday the 23th:
We slept in until noon… but I didn’t feel that bad. Still, I didn’t feel fantastic and I figured I was probably pretty contagious. So we lay low all day and watched more TV.

Friday the 24th:
More of the same. I slept until 9:30, tutored for a few hours, and then came home. I didn’t feel that bad… but I didn’t feel that good. We decided to brave the day-after-Thanksgiving crowds and go see “The Queen” at our local art-house theater.

Saturday the 25th:
We slept in late again. Still not that sick. A lot more TV. Maybe I’m getting over this, I thought. If I had to be semi-sick, at least it happened on a long weekend when it wouldn’t screw up work too much. Not fun timing, but convenient.

Yesterday, Sunday the 26th:
I’m sick. My throat hurts. I’m congested. I’m tired. Fan-freakin-tastic. I sleep until 11, tutor for a few hours, and come home. I dig out the cough drops and resort to… more TV. I even watched half of a Hallmark movie last night.

Now I’m starting to feel guilty. I’m becoming a lazy slug who lives on her couch. I’ve had almost five days off and I feel like I’ve gotten very little accomplished. My house isn’t cleaned. I’m not done with my holiday shopping or cards. I feel like I’ve watched WAY too much TV in the past two weeks. Even before we got sick in Santa Fe, we watched a Star Trek marathon (the 60’s version) and all three Star Wars movies back-to-back one night. Too much more of this and my brain is going to start oozing out my ear. Someone will come to my door and ask for my college degrees back.

Today:
I wake up at my normal time of 7:30am. I am now Sick. Capital S. I sound hoarse. My nose is congested and my stomach feels queasy – full of a night’s worth of post-nasal drip. I shower and stumble out the door at 9:05 – a full twenty minutes late. I manage to get to my psychiatrist’s office only three minutes late. It’d been two weeks since our last visit so I really wanted to be there. My doc seemed happy to see me. (Actually, he seemed amused by my weakened state. He told me I sounded out of it… like I’d had a few drinks!)

I tried to make use of the full 50 minutes but after 45 minutes – I was toast. My wonderful grey couch was calling to me. I got back in the car, grabbed my cell phone and canceled everything else I was supposed to do for the rest of the day. I drove home, lay down on my couch and promptly fell asleep for four hours. My husband came home, we ordered a pizza, and now we’re watching a movie.

If this keeps up, by Friday, I’ll be out of bed (or off the couch) for only about 30 minutes a day.

No comments: