Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My mom dresses me funny

After posting my last entry, I walked away from the computer a bit worried. I don’t want this blog to devolve into a forum for my rants and whinging. I worry that I’ve been doing too much of that lately. I’d prefer that this blog illustrate what it’s like to live with (and recover from) Borderline Personality Disorder. Yes, along the way, you’ll get a healthy dose of the everyday, but hopefully the everyday as seen through the (oh so perceptive) eyes of a Borderline.

So yes, in my last post, I bitched about a lot of things: my apartment, my car, store clerks, my ass… But the topic that stood out the most, the topic that was largely to blame for my bad mood in the first place…

My mom dresses me funny.

So, how does this illustrate what it's like to live with Borderline? Ummmm.... Well, for starters, it illustrates how my emotions swing between extremes that are hard to manage. Like my intense anger. And it explains (pretty well, in fact) the kind of invalidating environment that CREATES Borderline. Like how my mom trying to dress me invalidates my individuality and oh, I dunno, my adulthood.

I’ve spent a lot of the last few days trying to explain to people (ok, mainly therapists and my husband) how I wound up in this situation. Again.

Here’s the conclusion I’ve come to. It happens by degrees. It’s not like my mom just walks up to me, slaps me on the back and says “Well Juniper, it’s obvious you’re a wreck and can’t manage to look presentable in public. To avoid a lot of embarrassment, your father and I are going to strap you down and make you look like the good little preppy clone we always wanted.” Maybe that’s what she’s thinking, but these situations tend to unravel more sloooowly.

Here’s the chronology of this current mess:

ACT I:
Among my birthday presents are a black skirt and white sweater. I don’t love em’ but then, you don’t always love birthday presents. I feign happiness and gratitude. Mom suggests I wear them to my dad’s party. Hmmm. I hadn’t even been thinking about what I was going to wear. The party’s not for weeks. I don’t want to spend money on a new outfit… I make some non-committal murmurs, not realizing that in her mind, this equals “Yes, thanks mom. Don’t know what I’d do if you didn’t save me from my own ineptitude.”

ACT II:
Christmas morning, I get a gift certificate for shoes at Nine West. I like Nine West. I need some dressy black sandals. Good gift. I’m happy. “Maybe you can use this to get some nice shoes to go with your new outfit!” Mom happily suggests. That’s NOT gonna happen, I think. But do I have shoes that go with that outfit, I wonder? Maybe I will have to use part of it.

ACT III:
Mom tells me she’s getting her hair done while she’s in NJ. She loves that salon and has missed it ever since she moved. Would I like to get a haircut too? Uh, yeah, sure. I was gonna get a haircut in January anyway… why not. Saves me the time and money. And that way they can “style” my hair too. She says. That way I’ll look nice for the party. Ummmm… ok. I don’t usually do that much to my hair but I always let the stylist do something to it after I get a haircut. It’s fun to have “styled” hair for a day.

ACT IV:
On the last day of our visit, mom asks us to try on our new clothes and see if everything fits. The white sweater doesn’t fit that great. Probably because it’s incredibly ugly and unflattering. I tell mom that it’s not going to “work.” She sighs. “Oh noooo, really? And that’s the one I had to go to two stores for and then they had to order it in another size and have it shipped… “ Well thanks mom. Thanks for being so gracious about it. I’m trying to save her the money and she’s giving me a guilt trip. “I’ll just give you a check for what it’s worth and you can go get yourself something that works with that skirt.” Uh… what? Did I just agree to go shopping for an item of clothing I don’t really need to match a skirt that I don’t really expect to get a lot of use out of?

ACT V:
In the week and a half since we’ve been home, mom has reminded me to get some new shoes and a new blouse. About six times. In emails, letters, and phone conversations. Here’s the most recent email:

“Just wondering – did you get some new nice dress shoes yet? And also did you find a top you like for the black skirt? Hope so. Let’s talk about outfits for Dad’s big “do” next time we talk. By the way, when we go to the salon, Ann Marie, the tiny one with long black hair, who is from Maine will be cutting your hair along with shampoo and styling. Would you like her or someone there to do a make-up application for you while you are waiting for me to get beautified? Might be fun.”

So now the shoes and skirt have become mandatory. Great. I leave in less than a week and now I have to fit in a shopping trip.

As for the makeup, this was my reply:

“I’m ok with them doing my makeup... As long as it’s not too “NJ.” I’ll have to be firm with them and remind them that I’m a CT/CA “natural” girl. But it’s a nice idea.”

This was NOT what I originally wrote. This was probably the third draft of my reply. The polite draft. Don’t wanna seem ungrateful, now do I.


So you see… I agree to a new skirt, and a few days later, I’m in over my head. It’s not for any lack of will or spine on my part. It just sneaks up on me… like sinking into quicksand. THAT”S what makes it so hard to escape. (thrashing makes you sink more quickly, right?)

4 comments:

Bea Rich said...

Honestly, I think the answer is to show up in an entirely different outfit that is beautiful and tasteful (but of your own taste). What can she say to that? The only way she is ever going to stop is for you to stand up to her and show her that you are an adult capable of dressing yourself for public affairs, choosing your own car, etc As long as you keep nodding and placidly agreeing she will keep doing. And honestly, it's not worth arguing with words about. Just do it in actions, they will eventually get the picture. You can't let them keep doing this to you. Every time you give in you validate their behavoir.

Just Me said...

You go girl. You confide in the hairstylist and "makeup artist" that your mom dresses you funny. How can they not relate? Who wouldn't? Wear whatever you want (I agree with the other anonymous mom.)

And I'm looking forward to reading about your life with BPD. My anonymous blog is meant to do that, too, but is also designed to be a mythbuster. I hate the myths about this "disorder." It's actually just my personality. (Which isn't to say I don't HATE aspects of it and want to change them. I'm a graduate of skills training and a longtime DBT patient and literally would not be alive without it.)

I have an 8 year old. She already won't dress in the adorable polka dot dress I bought her for New Year's Eve. LOL. I took it back to Macy's (where I got the paltry clearance price I paid back for it) and she took me to a "cool" store and dressed herself funny. :)

betty said...

hey juniper! sorry i haven't been stopping by for a while. work is so much.....work, i guess.

anyway, i don't know if you've left yet or if you'll read this but i think it makes a lot of sense why you'd feel belittled by your mom's persistance on the outfit/hair/car front. she's pushy...and inconsiderate. my stepmom is actually the same way. i yelled at her the other day because she was sneakily (or not so, since i knew it was happening) trying to find out my shirt size and what colors i like so she could 'pick up a cashmere sweater for me if she ran into one, since everyone needs cashmere!!!'. she was upset at my response (basically a minutes long rant about how i DO NOT want clothes EVER for a present because i want to do it MYSELF!!!'.

my yelling pissed her off a lot and made me look ungrateful at the same time. so i can also see why you feel reluctant to fight back. especially when you look at one isolated incident it seems unworthy of so much distress. but it's obviously not that simple.

the easiest solution would be to 'forget' to pack the outfit and then when your mom makes the inevitable 'disappointed' or 'what will we do now' comment just produce a decent outfit and say 'mom, i know you want the best for dad's party, and i appreciate that. i'm sorry that i forgot that skirt, but i think this outfit looks just fine too. now let's get our hair done..' or something like that.

and then because the outift is proably enough of a battle, just play her game the rest of the night with this in mind: bad makeup can always be washed off and icky hair can usually be fixed pretty guickly - so if the beautifyin' goes south, you can probably recover. but definitely try to tell them what you want upfront and get a free makeover...

i hope it goes well. i know you weren't exactly looking forward to this but i think it's better that you are there. in the future you can practice saying 'thanks, but no thanks' to your parents but this weekend is sort of about your dad, i guess.

Blue_Rubicon said...

Hey you

having wallyworld flashbacks? You could show up in soehting totally different, but then you would have to live with the fall out forever...yuck! I say dress funny and then run like the wind. or you could make a stop before the big to-do... I know for a fact there is an 11 month old who would be happy to spit up on the outfit for you so that you could elude blame and still not have to dress funny.

good luck
chat soon