Saturday, September 16, 2006

Bay Area... Rapid? Transit?



Ok, so today we decided to go to an A's game. It was a beautiful day - clear and cool. We live about five minutes from a BART stop, so we can easily hop a train to the Coliseum.

Since I’m not a regular BART rider (and I spent a portion of my life living in New York City) I’m a, shall we say, vigilant rider. I like to know what’s going on around me. I don’t really think a BART train in the middle of a Saturday afternoon is a huge terrorist target, but that’s just the kind of girl I am.

So as we’re going through the turnstiles, this guy walks up to the station wearing this rubber mask. I mean the EXACT mask pictured above. And he doesn’t take it off. Ever. To top it off, he’s pulling a wheeled suitcase that appears to be stuffed with a large bag of… something from a garden center; soil, peat moss, mulch, FERTILIZER? Perhaps the highly explosive kind? I think you have to mix fertilizer with something for it to be dangerous, but did I mention the guy was wearing this freaky-ass rubber mask?

What. The. Hell.

And nobody blinks an eye. Nobody stares or calls the cops or nothin’. I don’t want to look like the only paranoid nut in the station, after all... I'm the crazy lady, right? So what do I do? Nothin’.

I have a very good friend who used to be a New York Transit cop. She used to stop people for peeing and jumping the turnstiles and generally acting fishy. I have to believe in New York, a cop would’ve stopped this guy in about 10 seconds. But here in the Bay Area… Rapid? Transit? Nah.

So we watched him board a Richmond bound train and go off in the other direction. I didn’t hear a boom…

2 comments:

Blue_Rubicon said...

yeah, in NYC he would have been stopped in 3 seconds flat, and recieved a little "transiteducation" as well. TSNTBT (too strange not to be true)

Blue_Rubicon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.