Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Notice he doesn’t mention the bike accident…

Here’s the most recent set of emails from Hairy:

“Hi Juniper, Can you give me the names/numbers of a few families whose kid(s) you assisted in preparing for these exams. My son will have to take the exam to apply to two Catholic Schools: Bishop O'Dowd and St. Mary's. Do you know when and where the tests are given? When should prep begin? My son returns from camp on July 24, but then leaves again for a two week camp on August 6, back on August 19. As you know, his vocab and spelling are very weak. Same with grammer. If this test emphasizes this, he will have to work hard. You know my son, and you know these tests. Do you think he will do well? Can you tell me more about the content of the test? Thanks, Hairy”

This was back in June. When I didn’t email him back soon enough, he called me at 10pm one night to demand answers. (For the record, these oh, so crucial exams to get into High. School. And i've been tutoring his kid for over a year so now he needs references...) The tests are given in January. Then this email showed up yesterday:

“Hi Juniper, the phone number for the reference you gave me is disconnected. Do you have a different number? Also, let's get geared up for his practice. Do you have homework for him to do now before school heats up??? He tells us that he would like to go to Head Royce....Thanks, Hairy”

I emailed him right back this time:

“Hello Hairy, Hope you are recovering well – your wife told me you had a bad bike accident. Here is the new phone number: XXX-XXXX. In your regard to your question about homework: do you mean review for his High School entrance exams? My first step would be to order the Catholic High School Entrance Exam (HSPT) and Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) study guides off of Amazon and have him take a look at the sample tests to become familiar with the formats. I'll be meeting with your son next Monday and can assign him some homework from the study guides if you would like me to. Thanks, Juniper”

And then I got this one this morning:

“Which ones to get Juniper? Arco, Kaplan, Princeton, Peterson....there are many. Which is the best, ie the closest to the actual material, and comprehensive enough to cover most everything.... If you're not sure, I'll call Ivy West or some of the schools to see what they recommend. Thanks, Hairy”

Doesn’t this guy realize… I know where he lives?

Whoops.

No comments: