Monday, September 25, 2006

Update

My husband just read the previous post and groaned.

"More of your 'Tale of Woe!'" He said.

I do not mean the previous post to be another chapter in said T.O.W.

For the record, I think I've accomplished just as much (if not more) than most of my classmates. Just today, my doctor praised my improving mental health.

"You set a goal to get better and set about accomplishing it." He said. "I don't take that for granted. Not everyone does that. Some people just sit back and don't do anything to change their situation. I'm in a position to dole out praise and you deserve it."

I will admit though, I wish my achievements could be published in the alumni bulletin. Here's how it would read:

After a near-fatal suicide attempt, arrest and lengthy hospitalization in early 2003, "J" was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Despite this grim prognosis, her health had greatly improved due to her hard work and the support of her husband and therapists. With the exception of a couple small relapses this winter, she has been sober for three and a half years and has not self injured in many months. She has built herself a new career teaching and mentoring young people which she enjoys immensely. Actively involved in numerous therapeutic support groups, she is also finishing a book based on her experiences in the mental health care system. She successfully tapered off all her medications this summer in preparation for starting a family.

I just didn't want to brag...

1 comment:

betty said...

see my comment on the previous post (i didn't read this first). i like this description too(because it's you, and i like you!).